Monday, August 18, 2008

Lost in Translation 2

Avery and I were exploring our neighborhood looking for a place to eat lunch. We stumbled on a delicious Bakery where they made fresh garlic bread-like pastries. The people were very kind and offered to help take our "push-car" up about 25 stairs to the dining area. They were excited to introduce us to the new foods, and Avery and I were both delighted to find new things that we enjoy. We look at the menu and it is mainly in Arabic. There are some words written in English script, but these words mean nothing to me. So we point at the pictures and they happily bring us our food. At the end of our visit I really wanted to know what kind of food I tried so I asked...

Me: "Thank you, the food was delicious. (Hand on belly with thumbs up--a sign I took from our Pakistani server at a previous venue.)

Manager: "Yes. Very Good."

Me: "What kind of food is this?"

Manager: "Cream and Cheese"

Me: "No, I mean type of food is this?"

Manager (Looks confused): "Oh, cream and cheese"

Me: (Start to walk away thinking you win some, you loose some: But really REALLY want to know so I ask a random blue-eyed stranger walking up to the restaurant) "Do you know where is this food from?"

RS: (Shakes head and speaks with a heavy Russian accent) "I speaka no English."

I guess we may never know.

No comments: